Sunday, April 18, 2010

Happy Birthday Neighbor Guy, Deleted

I wrote a 1, 712 word post about today. I went to Cambodian New Year and three garage sales with Neighbor Guy. We had fun. Writing about it was a word-purge that took an hour or two. Minutes after I posted it, Neighbor Guy called. Drunk. And of the many things he said, the only one I can repeat is that he didn't want me telling anyone about anything he said today.

I'm not a journalist, I don't use real names, but there are people who know or will  meet Neighbor Guy who also read this blog, and I would feel guilty if I didn't remove the post.

The only safe paragraph:
Cambodian New Year was too big an event for the temple itself, so it was held at the nearby city college. We walked in to parents with young kids and fussy babies out in the hallway; huge tables filled with Styrofoam bowls of noodles and curries and desserts and things don't translate; and monotone call-and-response chanting over a microphone. The two monks wrapped in orange sat on the raised platform with the whole room facing them, but I saw they didn't have the microphones. Two of the genuflectors at the front, dressed in white and posturing a bit higher on their knees, lead the chants.
Maybe someday things will  change and I'll post the rest.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena