Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What if your kid starts biting people?

Upstairs neighbors who went to the condo board to voice their concerns about  my dog instead of talking to me had a baby a few months back. HDS and I opened the door to leave on Sunday and the dad, his grandmother, and other various adults were in the hall. My dog ran out barking and snarling. I ran out and got my dog, picked him up, and carried him back inside (he's 14 lbs). He didn't bite anyone. But my neighbor still lost his shit. "There are laws against this." I lost my shit in tears.

HDS and I had been on our way to lunch with my mom, who suggested a gate for when we open the door so there is no way my dog can run out in the future. I had the gate up already when a police officer came by later in the day. My neighbors called the police. They don't  talk to me, they go to the condo board and then they call the police. When they were dog sitting, I was there when their furry charge got out off  her leash. I reattached and tightened the harness for them. My dog escapes for an instant and they call the police.

I'm terrified. I don't  know what to do. I keep him on his leash, muzzled in the presence of others, and we've been working our butts off on training. But he is my dog and I love him so much and he isn't going to kill anyone and he's a complete sweetheart, joy, treasure, necessity in my life. He is not a pit bull or a thing or  a gun. I'm so scared my neighbors will go after him and I see the huge unfairness and uncaring of situations  like these and it crushes me into a little ball of chalkiness.

Friday we go to Nashville.
Monday I  go to  the hospital.
When will this anxious, sinking feeling go away?

No comments:

 

Made by Lena