Wednesday, May 09, 2007

If I only had a chemise

I want to be the kind of girl who sleeps in a chemise*. I would have $300 curtains that I'd change every season and artful throw pillows everywhere. And when I got a migraine, I would lie among my throw pillows in my chemise, staring at my curtains with a cold compress to my head and sigh beautifully while my understanding and attentive boyfriend (or perhaps fiance, since this scenario needs more words co-opted from the French) tip-toed around me and brought me iced tea and walked my dog and stroked my hair. Maybe as I slept he would whisper things to me in French and Italian--only two of the 14 languages he spoke, having been raised the lonely only child of a diplomat.

But no, I'm in my mess of an apartment, greasy and unshowered, popping pills, having a whining contest with my dog, picking at the zit on my shoulder blade, daydreaming, and reading McSweeney's features to keep myself happy between painful brain stabs.



*Perhaps this $170 Josie Natori number from Saks, or perhaps something more sweet and innocent from Anthropolgie...it is my birthday this Sunday

2 comments:

amy said...

ergh I know how you feel, comparing your dream world to reality...

Anonymous said...

i will do my best to find a diplomat's son for your birthday. there's gotta be one around here somewhere.
we're in nashville, so i'll go shop for one at vandy. ;)

 

Made by Lena