Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Strengths and Weaknesses

Male protagonists have deep, conflicting lives. Women comfort, support, inhibit the men. Women's stories rarely get treated with the same depth or complexity. I'm trying to think of some good meaty female main characters to disspell my own theory and at the moment none come to mind. I just watched Munich.

Help me out here, people. Great gritty girl character where the whole point of the movie isn't that it's a girl in what "should" be a male role?

One of my friends who is black and female apparently used to imagine clothes and things on Generic White Person when she saw them in the store and wondered how they'd look on her. I wonder how much of my over-valuing of boys as friends and humans in general is because all the best characters have always been boys. Either that or the grass is always greener when you are beige shag carpeting.

I ditched the auction today. I need to sell off more of what I currently have before loading up on any of the things that I saw at preview night last night, but since the real spark of my not going was much more of an emotional temper-tantrum I feel unnecessarily guilty. I'm still trying to find my controlled grip again post-NBF visit. It's all quite fragile; this thin layer of awesome is dangerous. People see the thin layer and expect me to be able to do things, and I expect myself to be able to do things, too. I have to remember that I am still a) human and b) gimpy. Neighbor Guy set me off earlier today when he came over as I was trying to leave. He needed to use my printer right at that moment to print out his resume. I was in the midst of printing things out so I could leave and get to one of my lamp buyers before they closed and the auction began. By the time Neighbor Guy left and all my pictures were printed out, there was no way I'd make it in time and I was stressed enough without the rush. I was a good friend even though I wanted to hit him and maybe it's best I didn't spend 8 hours at the auction today since now I'm rested and well-fed and tomorrow I can finish the phone calls from my "DO NOW" folder before therapy and then try to sell all my rare old books and the lamps and get my car emptied out and my wallet filled up.

I wonder if Possible Boy or Other Girl are at the bar...that would be nice. I could use the non-Neighbor Guy-human contact. I think Neighbor Guy is from another planet, anyway.

2 comments:

hds, movie detective, said...

You pose an interesting challenge. I'm going to start with alice doesn't live here anymore which may or may not be what you are looking for.
i'm now on a mission.

hds, movie detective, said...

and also: read this

 

Made by Lena