Sunday, July 12, 2009

Murder and Intrigue

I went out to the bar by my house tonight for karaoke. Neighbor Guy called me earlier to say he and Possible Boy were going, and Possible Boy was saying some very nice, flattering things about me and about how pretty I am, etc. Um, awesome.
I get to karaoke night only to discover that with Possible Boy and Neighbor Guy is the girl the two of them had discussed the day I met Possible Boy as hotly pursuing him. And her posse. And it's her birthday. With moderately dejected heart I resigned myself to leave them alone, have fun with Neighbor Guy, and flash the occasional smile when coyly appropriate.

There was Another Boy whose eyes kept meeting mine. Neighbor Guy noticed and informed me my ocular pen-pal was gay. So I started being less shy about ogling the Boy, and the boy kept looking at me until he introduced himself.
"Hi, I'm Another Boy."
"Hi. I'm Annabell."
"Where are you from?" He expected somewhere between Iowa and another planet, I think.
"Across the street." He couldn't believe it.
"What do you do?"
"That's a harder question than it should be, but the easy answer is, I'm a writer."
He acted like I told him I was an astronaut. Not only that, but he too was an astronaut and hadn't been able to tell anyone.
"Are you married? Do you have a boyfriend?"
"No and no [surprisingly easy to say considering how naturally and frequently I lie about this to the creepy guys who ask at car washes, in parking lots and on buses]. What about you? Are you married? Do you have a boyfriend?"
"No and I'm not into guys."
I guess Neighbor Guy was wrong.
After a bit more awe-struck stumbling through words, Neighbor Guy whisked me away to dance as the woman running the karaoke sang "At Last."
Another Boy handed me a piece of paper with his phone number and email as he headed out the door.

I want to have multiple Boys and for all of them to be faithful to me and me alone. Is that so wrong?

2 comments:

The Sidekick said...

Waitwaitwait. You DANCE now??

Annabell said...

Sort of yes. This isn't the best example, since it's the kind of dancing I've always done, ie slow and lots of twirling. "At Last" is no foxtrot.

 

Made by Lena