Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Easy As

If you are male and significantly older than me, can I please talk to you because you are interesting and not because I want to sleep with you?

I've been updating my work-related blogs and listing things for sale on my website fairly consistently the past several days. Today I took a gazillion pictures and only got one thing up into the Internetosphere and felt like I'd let myself down in my new "do one of each of these things every day" plan. But I get lots of gold stars today. I did a lot of work stuff until my body informed me that I had to be asleep. Then there was absolutely no question I needed to be asleep, so I went and took a 2+ hour nap that I didn't feel ad about taking because I wasn't being lazy. Then when Possible Boy invited me to dinner (he cooked! he's learning to cook and this may be the first time he's ever made food by himself for another person to eat, and it was quite good, not just for a first attempt) I didn't leave the house until I put up the one worky bloggy thing that matters most if it isn't daily. Social happy fun time later, I came home and made caramel corn (my air popper is back in my life and reminding me how wonderful chompy snacky popcorn can be) and edited some photos so tomorrow I can list early and easily before I have to go to therapy and chase down my as yet unfinished car.
Increased productivity and self-assurance, brought to you by amitriptyline. One more little green pill before bed and POOF! You can stretch just far enough to grab the world by the testicles.

My brother heads back to school tomorrow, so Sunday night he came over to hang out. Getting him up here was a little like convincing a dog to go to the vet, but we finally had our plans for him to drive up after the Sunday football games for dinner and quality sibling bonding time. Then my parents called to invite themselves because I haven't seen them in weeks. Fine. No time with just the brother, but the parents are much easier when he's around. Well, Sunday morning I get a text from my brother that made it sound like he wasn't thrilled with my parents' self-invitation either, so I called them and asked if they would be terribly hurt if I saw them a different time. I know my mother really likes it when my siblings and I want to spend time with one another (her mother is queen of pitting people against eachother and it's taken my mom 50+ years to start valuing her own brothers and sister), so of course it was fine and hopefully she'd see me soon but not Sunday.
I'm trying to set my boundaries with my parents, but I'm not sure where those boundaries need to be. They own me financially and they're not evil entities I want completely stricken from my life, but I'm going to have to find and define and refind and redefine that middle ground over and over. It's easier to make caramel corn.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena