Monday, September 11, 2006

Dorking around town

Yesterday I felt like I sucked through much of my improv class. We did one exercise where three people sat in a row facing the front and the two people on the outside each picked a random topic and talked about it simultaneously for several minutes straight while the middle person had to listen to as much of both as possible. I was good at that one, picking up just about every detail from both, except that I couldn't remember the names of half of the heavy metal bands one of my talkers mentioned, but that would have been the case even had it been a regular two-person conversation. Otherwise, my scenes pretty much just sucked. Very annoying.

Last night I went out with E, which was fabulous. We wandered around for awhile and then drank very cheaply ($3.75 pints of Killinas and $4 vodka lemonades) at an Irishesque pub near my apartment. I was craving salad and they had a surprisingly good one with tons of cheese and hard boiled egg and good dressing and the dark greens mix I generally favor. We mostly just yapped and yapped for hours, which is what we generally do when together, but I think we have similar natural conversation styles. Like I never feel like I'm talking too much or too little about myself and I never feel like she's talking too much or too little about herself. We just rant very naturally together. Between the walking, salad, and emotional unloading, it felt like a strangely healthy evening.

Today I hung out with Him and Red (who were friends back in junior high, too). We walked through the Lakeview East Fine Art Festival which was mostly lame but they had glass blowing, a process I find infinitely fascinating. Him had been craving "a New York style pizza place" so we went to one near his apartment. I wasn't particularly wanting pizza as I'd had it twice on Friday, but they had calzones with the ricotta cheese, and that made me happy. Growing up visiting my grandparents in New York we used to get calzones there and they're like these completely enclosed pockets of ricotta-y and mozzarella-y goodness. Outside of New York, I have generally found calzones to be much closer to a folded up regular pizza, and that's just a shame. So today's calzone wasn't quite as wonderful as the New York variety, but at least it was ricotta. More things in life should be ricotta, really.
Post pizza we went back to Him's apartment to watch the season premiers of Simpsons, American Dad, and Family Guy. Simpsons was kind of disappointing, but I thought American Dad was fabulous and Family Guy was very good. The show after Family Guy looked painfully stupid (even after watching the first few minutes of it) and I was craving Cold Stone (which is on the way back to my place), so Red and I headed out. Coffee ice cream with cookie dough mix-in is a wonderful thing.

Tomorrow I have the training and "uniform fitting" for the Fashion Police thing. Should be entertaining. Then I've had Syriana here from Netflix for a few days but NBF wanted to see it with me so assuming we aren't too beat from our days (me spending a few hours learning how to give a "fashion citation" and him going to law school all day) we're going to watch it. Mmmmovie...

I spend too much time and energy (meaning any time and energy) on my Yahoo Fish Tycoon virtual aquarium. It's slow-paced and stupid and I can't stop playing with it. Damn you, real time! Means I have to check up on my fish regularly to make sure they're alive, and I actually started writing down the fish breeding combinations in a notebook to keep track of things. Yes, I am the biggest dork ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ricotta pants?

 

Made by Lena