Tuesday, October 16, 2007

broken head, broken heart?


Do I want to take part in a medical trial that may or may not help my migraines? It involves surgery where they poke at my heart. I pre-qualified on their internet thing, and then a woman from the trial just called me and it sounds like I'm a perfect candidate. As she went down the list of "have you tried" even she sounded surprised that I was a "yes" to all of them...beta blockers, anti-seizure meds, botox. I may not even have the hole in my heart, and even if I do I can decide then not to have the surgery to close it up. Honestly, my biggest ambivalence about the whole thing is that there's a 1 in 3 chance that I will be a control patient and go through the surgery but then they will just sew me back up again the way I began. But even then, if the trial shows that closing up the hole does in fact help the migraines, they will offer me the procedure again for real. That would mean TWO elective surgeries. How do I feel about that? Now would be the time to do it, though, while I'm still in school and not clutching to a real job. I don't know. I don't have to decide right away, but it's something to seriously think about. And wouldn't it be amazing if it got rid of my migraines? The rest of my life, like a normal person!* Imagine that!

*Yes, I know, I will never be "normal." You are just. so. funny.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would think about it. Yes, its a huge deal, but you've been through so much b/c of those stupid things

Anonymous said...

dude, i would do it if i was a candidate. i've looked for all kinds of medical trials & never quite qualify, so i'm jealous. & also think it would be cool that they could help you AND other people. 2 surgeries versus ridiculous pain and stabbing yourself in the stomach (or whatever new thing that won't work) for the rest of your life.
plus we could call you things like "lab rat" and "guinea pig."

Anonymous said...

Plus, you'd have a pretty kick ass scar. You could then have a tattoo artist make it into a SNAKE.

Anonymous said...

or a dragon!!

 

Made by Lena