Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Miami International Airport

I went to my cousin's wedding in Miami. The plane in which I was originally scheduled to fly home arrived at the gate as a 737 instead of the planned 757. They offered $300 in travel vouchers and a guaranteed seat on the 8:15 PM flight to anyone willing to trade in a boarding pass.

I was at the podium before they could finish making the announcement.

It's not like I had anywhere to be, and many of my best friends live in far away places. $300 of airline travel for four and a half hours of hanging out in the Miami airport is far better than my usual pay rate.

The rest of my family opted to stay on their original flight. They all worried about working Monday morning and general life obligations and hassle and whatnot. The other wedding guests, too, refused a $67/hour waiting incentive and boarded for Chicago.

I had the two most recent issues of the New Yorker, the Sunday New York Times, and a cell phone with two virtual pets, a virtual farm, a virtual pyramid, and a virtual mine, plus the will and ability to nap in strange places and positions.

Instead, there was The Columbian.

2 comments:

hds said...

i hear that airplanes fly to tennessee...

Carlotta said...

Airplanes are so hard to coordinate. I was looking on the http://www.gatheringguide.com/ec/destination_management.html site for someone good to take care of all the travel prep for me, but there's still no guarantee your guests won't be waiting for outside factors. I want to just have a wedding here at my house. Maybe I will, hm...

 

Made by Lena