Saturday, August 26, 2006

Friends and things

Last night I hung out with NBF. He is fabulous. He may stay. I like his dog, too. She plays fetch and tug-o-war and runs around off her leash without attacking other dogs and people. I love my dog very much, but it would be nice if he could do some of those normal dog things. Friendly things.

My improv class today was fantastic. We were missing a bunch of people (including the girl who annoys me most) so it was more intimate. Lots of really good, obviously productive games and activities. Then BB and the weird psycho kid who tends to only ever play angry and "fucking hates emos" (I will henceforth refer to said kid as "Anti") had to do a scene together. It absolutely crashed and burned. They're both incapable of relating to the other person in any scene, so the two of them together was like watching a train wreck. BB got really frustrated and upset because he couldn't find a way of connecting with Anti, let alone play the different emotions he was supposed to explore in the exercise. The teacher could have been more helpful and supportive, but it was probably good for them to have to face eachother and see what it's like when the other person isn't compensating for your shortcomings.

SUC was much more quiet and pensive than usual. Turns out his mind was on the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. He's from New Orleans. His family is still down there. He was lucky, only losing two friends, but his stories about carrying a gun while he tried to help clean up for the six weeks following the storm are haunting just to hear. This got Mr. Aluminum talking about 9/11. He used to work in the World Trade Center but quit his job about a year before the attack. He was unemployed and without health insurance when he tore his Achilles tendon playing basketball but couldn't afford to see a doctor for lack of coverage. His former boss (in London on business at the time) was the only person not killed when the towers collapsed. He described spending the fall of 2001 "limping from funeral to funeral."

Very intense stuff. Then my phone sex thing came up. Most of them didn't know about it. They were fascinated. I felt a little silly after their stories of tragedy and horror, but it certainly perked SUC up and lightened the mood, so perhaps it was necessary for it to come up today.

Tonight I hung out with my friend since forever (I don't remember if he has a code name yet or not...). We didn't really do much but good company requires little activity. He's going to be around for at least a few more months, so I have yet another friend to play with. Yay friends.

I'd better not be getting sick. I'm sucking down the Cold-Eeze and drinking fluids, but my throat hurts and my nose is tickly and I hear the germs trying to beat down my immune system. Fight back, body! You can do it!

No comments:

 

Made by Lena