Thursday, November 23, 2006

Ungratefulness and Thanksgiven

From the Department of What's Wrong With This Picture: after my whole talk with my mom about how it's ok for me to be unhappy, tonight she declared that I'm not allowed to tell her that I'm unhappy without including a "look on the bright side"statement because it stresses her out too much. Ok. So I can't complain to my mother about things in my life because it makes her unhappy? I'm right that this is ridiculous, no? That between her being the mom (not to mention a professional therapist) and it being my life we're talking about, I'm not being completely selfish and narcissistic in wanting to react to it in the way that is natural and honest to me? I remember when I first came out of the depression closet, my mom told me that I didn't need to be so protective of her feelings and that she wasn't as fragile as I thought she was. Bullshit. At the time she said it, I believed her, but Sweet Mother of Pearl was I ever right in the first place. I was glad to have NBF there for perspective and support. In retrospect I feel a bit bad I wasn't concerned with him having a decent time, but he can hold his own and I suppose, like my mother, my ThoughtfulVision substantially narrows when I'm under stress.

Dear God, please don't let me turn into my mother

Otherwise, Thanksgiving was fine. Lots of good food and a few drinks to take the edge off (yeesh, I sound like an alcoholic) and everything turned out just dandy.

HDS is coming tomorrow! Yay! It's been far too long since I've seen her. I don't know what we're going to do or where or when, but things will work themselves out, I am sure.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena