Thursday, August 13, 2009

I was fussy. Neighbor Guy was getting on my nerves; we'd spent too much time together. But today I sold the chandelier for $400 and spent some quality time with Possible Boy. Now I feel shiny again.

When I got to the bar tonight, I sat and talked to the cute Iraqi. At least, we tried to talk. He's been here for all of seven months and while his English may be better than my Arabic, I'm very much a words person so it's hard for me to connect with a person without language. At one point he tried to tell me that I reminded him of Barbarella, but I don't know the movie and he was saying it oddly so I had no clue what he was talking about. Then Possible Boy showed up with Other Girl. I really like Possible Boy. Earlier today he said he wanted to keep a journal but didn't and instead had random bits of receipts and cocktail napkins with things written on them. So tonight I brought with me one of the small blank journals I had in my house (I tend to accumulate and fill blank books in waves). I've never seen someone so genuinely grateful and happy. I'm tired and can't find a more eloquent way to say it right now, but he was just so happy. Not pushing out the smile for show happy, but trying to hold in so he wouldn't look silly for bursting over something that wasn't a big deal. It was the best reaction ever. Flatterers are nice, but I'd trade a million cute Iraqis I barely know for one connected boy who gets giddy over small gestures.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena