Sunday, August 02, 2009

My Dog Must Live Forever

Possible Boy seems to be dating Other Girl.

I may have found something I can do for money.

Neighbor Guy is in a state of depressed hiding and his cell phone got disconnected because he couldn't pay the bill and now he's extremely hard to find.

I spent 28 hours with one of my best friends from junior high and high school who I hadn't seen in almost ten years. We've had completely different lives from day one and yet we're still very similar people. I think we're made out of the same flavor goop.

As my dog barked and snarled at another dog on the beach, I grabbed him by his neck scruff as usual to try to calm him down. The other dog kept coming closer and closer and my dog kept freaking out more and more until he was on his side and barking and swallowing sand and then he stopped moving and stopped breathing and I was shaking him and yelling and thinking he was choking on the sand and he couldn't die there like that and then it was clear he was conscious again but he still wasn't breathing and I kept shaking him and the owner of the other dog asked if she should call somebody and I said yes and she called 311 and I kept shaking my dog and patting him on the sides until he started breathing again, a little at first, and by the time the woman got the animal ER people on the phone my dog was breathing and conscious and not totally fine but certainly not at death's door. The ER people said to bring him in, so we walked back to my condo and grabbed my purse and headed to the doggy ER.
He's fine. He seems to have the beginnings of congestive heart disease, but catching it early means beta blockers or something of the sort like people take. Still not entirely sure why he passed out the way he did, but the vet seemed satisfied with her list of entirely probably explanations. Monday we need to get an appointment to see a doggy cardiologist for a full workup and to figure out where to go from here. He's watching me write this with his big pleading eyes and I just want to hold him all the time.

My migraines have been much better the past few days. I've taken milk out of my diet. I'm worried that's why I've been better. It's wonderful if I found a cause and can stop the madness just by changing my diet, but I really like milk. Yes, I'm being a brat.

Karaoke at my local bar was amazing tonight. Even if I went knowing full well I'd be in not the best friend-surrounded environment, I wanted to go. I wanted to sing and show off my new Target clearance dress and milk my being awake and alert and not in pain for every possible minute. I sang "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid and one random woman was convinced I was in musical theater. Boggled my mind a bit and flattered me beyond anything I've heard in ages. My brief stint trying out for musicals in junior high and high school and finally resigning myself to the pit orchestra after total and complete rejection one too many times.

The world and my life amaze me to no end these days. They're like painfully rich chocolate cake--you can only take a few bites at a time or it overwhelms te senses. It's wonderful, but just so overwhelming. Like trying to say the entire alphabet at once. All the letters on top of one another, tapped out by a single tongue in a single mouth in a single single syllable's space.

So exhausted. All of the sudden. Sleep time.

2 comments:

Birdie said...

That is basically exactly what I've been wanting to read for, oh, ever? I'd have a tear in my eye if I ever cried. OH WHO AM I KIDDING. It was there.

Secret word: claxp.

HDS said...

How scary. I love you.
It may be time to switch to low-fat bologna.

 

Made by Lena