Friday, June 30, 2006

...And watch the worms slip by, slip by.

Death Cab for Cutie's I Will Follow You Into the Dark has been in my head all day. Morbid morbid morbid. Actually, I feel like the lyrics are pretty stupid (If heaven and hell decide that they both are satisfied, Illuminate the 'no's on their vacancy signs...) but it still gets to me.

I went to Jew services with my parents tonight. They left our Reform congregation a few years ago because the rabbi's a shallow idiot, so they now belong to the Conservative temple even though they're both quite non-religious. I actually liked the service a lot. Very casual, comfortable. Too bad it's out in the 'burbs.

About 20 minutes ago I realized I don't actually have my improv class tomorrow. "Independence Day break." I was really looking forward to it, too. I emailed everyone to see if they wanted to do something in the afternoon, anyway, but considering only maybe four of us actually live in the city, I don't expect a positive response. Maybe I'll call a friend to play. I've had enough family time but I think it's good that I spend time with people right now. Keeps me from slipping into my old depression habits while the sadness is still looming.

I got a cute new bra on clearance at Target. I think it's the cousin of this one, but dark grape with a fun print, and it fits me extremely well. Retail therapy. I also took a picture of the tackiest bra ever while I was there. I totally would have bought it for someone as a joke, but it's $13. That is too much for a joke. Then I spent the rest of the Borders gift card my grandpa gave me for my birthday on The Portable Dorothy Parker. When I grow up I want to be Dorothy Parker. She's fucking awesome.
FAUTE DE MIEUX
Travel, trouble, music art,
A kiss, a frock, a rhyme--
I never said they feed my heart
But still they pass my time.
The poem that seems currently most appropriate:

CONDOLENCE
They hurried here, as soon as you had died,
Their faces damp with haste and sympathy,
And pressed my hand in theirs, and smoothed my knee,
And clicked their tongues, and watched me, mournful-eyed.
Gently they told me of that Other Side-
How, even then, you waited there for me,
And what ecstatic meeting ours would be.
Moved by the lovely tale, they broke, and cried.

And when I smiled, they told me I was brave,
And they rejoiced that I was comforted,
And left to tell of all the help they gave.
But I had smiled to think how you, the dead,
So curiously preoccupied and grave,
Would laugh, could you have heard the things they said.

I could go on and on. Oh, Dorothy, perhaps I shall read you until I go to sleep.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena