Sunday, June 25, 2006

"I heard 'em. Fuck 'em."


Parents called. Grandpa's now unconscious and on a morphine drip and his blood pressure dropped. My dad's pretty sure today will be it. Makes sense, as it's grey and rainy. My headache broke, so I'm functional again, but I'm not sure if I want to go see my grandpa at the hospital today or not. I kind of like having Friday be the last time I saw him, since he was up and sarcastic. Do I really want to be there when he actually dies? But my aunt and uncle and one cousin and parents and sister are all going to be there, so maybe I want to be a part of that and with the family. I don't know. Maybe I'll try to transcribe more of the tapes of his life story from his 90th birthday party and see how I feel after that. I would love to have it done in time for his funeral. Is that weird? I've been thinking it for weeks, how it would be nice to have his life story as told by him for his death.

Joke my grandfather told on Friday:
An old Jewish man gets on a bus and goes to the back and sits down. The bus driver tells him he has to pay the fare, but the man just sits back and ignores him. "Buddy! You gotta pay!" But the man just sits there. "Pay or I'll throw you off the bus!" the diver yells. But the man keeps ignoring him. A woman on the bus goes up to the man and says loudly in Yiddish, "The bus driver says he's going to throw you off if you don't pay the fare." And the old man says back to her, "I heard 'em. Fuck 'em."

That's the joke.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena