Monday, July 31, 2006

Fair trade


Who wants to trade bodies?* The brain is acting up again. I probably had too much caffeine over the weekend, but the headache was looming then and there were things I needed to do. Still are things I need to do, but today my body didn't give me any options. I've only managed about 6 hours of consciousness (not counting time I spent lying awake in the dark unable to do anything) all day.

The dog woke me up at 6 AM yesterday, which was very annoying since I had to get up around 7 anyway. Him got to my apartment early with all necessary directions, coffee and an Egg McMuffin (he'd paid attention last time). I was in a complete daze as we drove to get the truck. We missed the first turn from the truck place to my grandfather's former apartment, but knowing the basics of the area and directions and street names I was able to get us there almost as quickly as the the original directions would have been. Him was completely stunned when we made it, as he had no faith in my abilities and wanted to backtrack to the streets we were "supposed" to be on from the start. I was extremely pleased with myself.

My grandfather had been doling his stuff out for years, so there wasn't that much left to go over after he died. It was mostly new stuff that had been bought for his apartment here, anyway, so I got his microwave and toaster oven. On Tuesday I'd finally gone to look over what was in his apartment to see if there was anything else I wanted. He was extremely anal about certain things, so everything was labeled and stashed neatly. I found a box that said "Old Camera: non-digital" and contained an old Nikon with three lenses and a flash. I have no clue how to use it, but I'm very excited to learn. Maybe I'll take a photography class at Nameless College (assuming I eventually get in and go there). My parents had a similar camera when I was growing up, so I'm sure they can show me some basics, plus FF is apparently starting at Nameless in the fall for photography and offered to help me figure things out. The other major exciting find for me was a Dremel. I have wanted one of these since I first used one in my metalsmithing class at camp almost 10 years ago. What can I say, I love SpikeTV and Lifetime, power tools and knitting.

When it came to actually moving my grandfather's couch and other stuff around, Him and my father were both in type-A personality super-opinionated mode. I was still exhausted and just wanted to curl up into a corner while they tried to boss eachother around, though I'll admit they ended up being very efficient at moving crap into vehicles and we were on our way with time to spare. Back at Him's apartment his friends (who were extremely cool) showed up and the couch was in and I was dropped off at my apartment in time to shower and get ready to meet my cousins.

I'd seen the ads for one of Chicago's street festivals that was right between where my cousins just moved (the ones on my dad's side) and my apartment, so we made plans to meet. We met. It was very hot and I was very tired, but it was still fun hanging out with the cousins like we were actually adults. I hadn't done that with these cousins yet.

By the time I got home, I was a zombie. I napped and wasted time and watched TV until I went to bed. I drugged myself because I knew the migraine was coming, but apparently it wasn't enough. I'm being stingy right now with my drugs because my current short-term health insurance has a crazy-high deductible so I'm paying for everything out of pocket. This Starbucks thing better pan out (or, for that matter, not) quickly so I can figure out what to do about insurance after my current thing stops at the end of September.


*People with serious, incurable diseases need not apply.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

poor annabell. all sicky. and i cant believe you finally have a microwave. its like stepping over to the dark side

 

Made by Lena