Thursday, August 23, 2007

Party Animals

There is a turtle in my bathtub. I put him there. He is my brother's, but my brother left for college and never really cared for the turtle in the first place, and my mother hates animals. The turtle's terrarium thing (big aquarium with wood chip bedding and two plastic bowls that are supposed to look like they're made out of rocks) is still in my car, because five minutes after I drove away from my parents' house with the aforementioned turtle, it started storming. Then the tornado sirens went, and the radio news kept saying for people in areas moving ever closer to me should all abandon their cars and get into basements. Two seconds later black clouds swallowed everything and branches flew past and rain came down in sheets. I kept looking at the businesses along North Avenue for reasonable shelter and to the sky to see if it turned orange or green (it usually turns weird colors before an actual tornado touches down). Between the wet and the fact I was a little white girl with turtle in tow in the shittier parts of Chicago's west side, I decided not to stop unless the sky turned, and it didn't. Now, I am in my apartment and refusing to leave until the weather clears and my dog is freaking out (as per usual...he had a particularly rough night last night with the thunder) and the turtle is in my bathtub, hiding under his wood thing. It's a party.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena